It’s important to know how to use your programmable thermostat correctly to yield the best results.
According to Energy Star, you can save about $180 every year in energy costs by using a programmable thermostat properly. That’s not bad considering energy costs have been going up every year for the majority of homeowners.
The catch is that you have to not only have a programmable thermostat installed, but you have to use it properly to get the best results.
How to Use Your Thermostat
To yield the best results, it’s important to follow these steps:
- Keep the temperature set at its energy-savings set-points for a least 8 hours. You can do this during the day when no one is home, or at night during bedtime.
- You can temporarily make your home cooler or warmer without erasing the pre-set programming. However, you’ll use more energy if consistently hold or over-ride the programmed settings.
- Be sure to install your thermostat away from appliances, lighting, registers, doorways, windows, and areas that get direct light or drafts. It’s best to install it on a interior wall.
- Use a programmable thermostat for each zone of your house if you have several cooling and heating zones. This will help to maximize convenience, comfort, and energy savings throughout your entire home.
- When going away for the weekend or on vacation, set the “hold” button at a constant energy-saving temperature.
- If your thermostat runs on batteries, be sure to change them each year. Most units will indicate when batteries are low and need to be replaced.
- Remember that setting your thermostat to 90 degrees or down to 40 degrees will not heat or cool your home any faster.
The pre-programmed settings that come standard with programmable thermostats are intended to deliver savings without losing comfort. Each family is different, so depending on your schedule, you’ll be able to see significant savings by sticking with those settings or by adjusting them to the schedule that is appropriate for your family.
If you currently have a programmable thermostat but you’re not following these guidelines, it’s the time to start now! If you don’t have a programmable thermostat and are interested in having one installed, call Hoffmann Air Conditioning & Heating today.
St. Louis Full Service HVAC
We know that keeping your home cool and comfortable in the summer months is very important. In the St. Louis area, air conditioning is a necessity. An energy efficient air conditioner should give you the same service but use less energy to do so.
After more than 30 years in the residential air conditioning industry, we have hands-on experience working with the most popular manufacturers like Trane, Lennox, American Standard, Rheem, Carrier, York, Amana and Goodman just to name a few. Call us today at (314) 471-7625 to schedule a free estimate.